A friend (thanks Alice) sent me a link to a Design Competition over at Shabby Apple Dresses. The website is asking readers to design a dress, and the top entries will be made and sold as part of their spring collection.
I tried my hand at a few designs. Nothing too fancy, but I often like simple dresses with cute detail, so it makes me think these would be dresses that I would actually wear. The vintage inspiration is obvious - a little 50s and 60s tossed in there with some modern fabrics (no polyesters ; ) to make them perfect spring wear.
I'm also still very into ruffles and bows and girly accents to make these looks cute and feminine. These are three of the designs I came up with.
1) Rounded Peter Pan Collar Fitted Shift Dress
- I used muted colors here - I really like the idea of a soft gray dress with bright yellow bow accent, and a subtle yellow lace under the collar.
- zipper up the back
2) Sheer Illusion Peter Pan Collar Belted Shift Dress
- The fun thing about this collar is that it is actually sewn into the dress itself - the collar should be made from a sheer-ish material (not tacky like mesh, but something softer and silky but a little see-through). It would then be sewn right into the front of the dress for the illusion of a collar.
- Cute big buttons sewn down the front.
- Again, I was thinking muted colors. Maybe a print or subtle plaid of some sort, but still in a very understated color palatte. Maybe there can be some pops of color in the buttons or other details.
- Keyhole closure at the neck in the back. Probably with a fun button in the same contrasting fabric as the buttons down the front
3) Scalloped Ruffle Dress
- I can't decide if this would be two pieces or one. I like the idea of that ruffled part at the bottom sticking out from under the dress being a slip that could be worn under other dresses as well. Either way, the solid purple top dress would not be sewn directly to the ruffles underneath.
- The solid purple top would be a heavier material, and the ruffles or scalloped layer underneath would be something a little lighter.
- I like the idea of bright colors here - pinks, purples, bright blues...
- Little rounded scalloped detail everywhere. Yes.
And of course, all the models should wear animal heads ...